WHY THIS PLEDGE/APPLICATION?
We’ve worked hard to create an international community that we can be proud of putting our name on. This is a community that brings people together to workout for FREE; all people, no matter who they are or where they’re from. Our community grows and thrives off of the love for our cities, our towns, and our neighbors. Pride in your place is as important to November Project as anything.
We know from experience that leading a November Project location is a tall order, so we created this page to give you a clear vision of what it takes. Application submission does not grant you permission to start an November Project chapter in your area, It simply announces your interest in starting one. Your application will be considered and after the trial period*, granted or rejected depending on the quality of what you’ve built.
To let you know what we’re not looking for… if you’re a trainer looking to expand your clientele, or a business owner looking to promote your business, November Project won’t be a great fit. Our number one goal is to drive people out of bed to get fit and build a better world to live in. At the end of the day, that comes before everything else.
Everyone can start and run a free fitness community, not everyone can start and run November Project.
Let’s get down to it. What are you getting yourselves into?:
- Time Commitment
Understand that being the leader of your November Project branch may begin with the simple 60-minute workout you first host but will be guaranteed to grow into many hours of dedication each week. This is a part-time volunteer job that some weeks can fill enough hours to be seen as a second, completely unpaid, full-time job. You will start with only one workout per week which will fall on a Wednesday. Growing your Wednesday workout will give you a good idea of what adding a Friday or a Monday will feel like.
Understand that the preparation for each session, the blogging, the photos, the events, social media outreach, face to face connections in the community, and traditional media interactions, will be some of the many things that will enhance your life as you take on this opportunity with November Project. All leaders have found that they no longer have time to be a part of their own November Project workouts once they grow beyond the first handful of members. Hosting a workout becomes your role at NP as you’ll quickly become a coach, inspirational speaker, photographer, matchmaker, social media expert, and professional stunt daydreamer for all things community. If you are not willing to commit yourself fully to this role your application will not be granted.
- Attendance Commitment
You have to be at every single workout. Finding a partner to co-lead your branch of November Project is key to starting the process. As leaders, we plan our lives, vacations, and just about everything we do around November Project. At November Project we say #justshowup…and that’s what you’re going to have to do. Yes, eventually you will miss a workout here and there and your co-leaders will help you out. But to grow your community, you’re going to have to be 100% committed to it.
This is not for you if you:
- Have a job that requires a lot of travel that could take you away from the squad you’re thinking of starting.
- Are a student or a professional associated with late night hours or unpredictable schedules that could keep you in bed in the morning hours.
- Are not comfortable working out in the rain, snow, humid weather, or scorching heat.
- Are not comfortable with public speaking.
- Are not willing to pull unusual flash-mob type stunts and be, as we say at November Project, “respectively disruptive,” from time to time.
- Our #Weatherproof Concept
NP is going to happen, starting on time, rain or shine and you have to be there! We are #weatherproof and we let everyone know it. Sometimes this borders on insanity but usually, those workouts and adventures that take us to the edge in harsh weather conditions are the ones that make us feel the best (or simply the most badass). Remember, people in your community will know that you’re going to be there at 6:30 am because November Project ALWAYS DOES. You’re creating something that the community knows they can count on.
- Why so early?
November Project ALWAYS trains in the morning on weekdays. Starting your day off with a good sweat and positive humans is easily the best way to lead to a productive day. Weekends and afternoons are reserved for socializing. It’s that simple.
- Leader Description
- Fitness: Do you have the be THE fastest person out there? Absolutely not. Do you have to be the strongest? Absolutely not. Do you have to be a motivator willing to push people to their limit?… yeah, you do. We don’t need you to be an Olympic athlete, but we do want to see you improve your speed and athleticism. If you’re not working towards something, why should anyone else be? Set the example by showing you’re willing to improve.
- Outgoing Personality: You may talk to a waitress, a trucker, a banker, and a bank-robber while recruiting for NP in a single afternoon – Your word of mouth recruiting is HUGE. Honestly, how are you at interacting with complete strangers?
- The sense of Humor: Our workouts are physically intense yet fun and funny. You don’t have to be a comedian but a sense of humor helps in sugarcoating the mind-bending workouts you’re going to throw at people.
- Local: You must be familiar with your city/town/neighborhood because you will eventually have to come up with different workouts and mixing up the locations is the key. Know your landmarks, public parks, stairs, hills, like the back of your hands and the tops of your feet.
- Creative: NP workouts have a standard to them that members can shoot for but many times they have to be adjusted before the start of the session due to unpredictable nature of outdoor training in an urban environment. You need to be able to think on your feet and adapt to whatever your morning may throw at you.
- Connected: You must already be involved in the local community. Being the new guy in town makes starting an NP city pretty much impossible. We want people who have pride in their town, not someone passing through for a year.
- Social Media Skills – New to social media?! This will be an education that you’ll have to jump into immediately. All Co-Leaders and attempting pledges must be well versed in Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/IG Stories and must own (or be able to find)a camera to capture legit images at all workouts.
- Other Added Bonuses:
- Familiar with WordPress blog platform.
- Competitive and supportive.
- Really good at pretending to be a morning person (“morning people” don’t really exist, it was a made up term back in the 1600’s that has recently been proven incorrect by scientists in labs who were holding beakers).
How to Apply?
If you think that you fit description and are willing to commit to everything that’s laid out above, please:
- Send us an email describing who you are, what you do, and why you want this. If you’re on social media please let us know where to find you.
- Get on a Google Hangout/Skype with us so we can see you and hear your passion in person. We’ll respond to your initial email to set this up. If you don’t hear from us within 48 hours, we’re probably in the woods so please be patient.
If we decide you’re a good fit for November Project, the next step is to start your “pledge group.” Without using the name “November Project” we want you and your co-leader to begin to build your community (without any of our help). We want you to build your group to prove you’re the right person/people to build a November Project in your city. Start with your friends, family, and anyone you can recruit. Pick a park, or a run loop, or some hills/stairs. Use YOUR social media network (no association to November Project) to organize your 6:30 am, sub-60-minute workout. Starting on time is the key – 6:31 am is not the same thing as 6:30 am.
Each workout should end with a group photo. Share this photo through your personal social media channel with the caption: [city name], pledging to November Project, [the workout], [location], and use the hashtag “#NP_Pledge.” Tweet this from your personal account to @Nov_Project or tag us on Instagram using the same hashtag.
After connecting with us and then establishing Wednesday morning workouts, if we think that you are worthy of proudly displaying #GrassrootsGear on your chest, we’ll add your location to the worldwide family and create your official November Project Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Once you’re in, you’re in. We’ll hook you up with the “N0V3MB3R PR0J3CT” stencils and a #PositivityAward, access to the weekly blog, our social media stream and all of the further nation wide & world wide attention that will come in your bright future. Essentially you’re going to be a leader in your community and it will be by far the best feeling you could ever have.
You’ll hug strangers, kiss babies, and take photos (Don’t try and do all three at the same time, we had a guy in Boston go to the hospital and jail for attempting this move). You’ll lead workouts that will be the best part of many people’s day/week/life. You’ll watch people get faster, fall in love with fitness, see improvements, find friends, fall in love, create real connections, and generally bring this small world even closer together. This is serious stuff we’re dealing with. Please don’t step up unless you’re committed to everything you read above.
Love & Thanks,
Do you think you have what it takes? Apply now at email@example.com !
*Boring but important legal stuff: We own all the product names, company names, trade names, logos, current and future product packaging and designs (“Trademarks”) of November Project, Inc. Unauthorized use of any such Trademarks, including reproduction, imitation, dilution or confusing or misleading uses, is prohibited under the trademark laws of the United States and other countries. You are expressly prohibited from using or misusing any Trademarks, and names except as expressly provided in this Agreement, and nothing otherwise stated or implied in the Services confers on you any license or right to do so.